Thursday, April 1, 2010

Listening Discussion

Here are the Storytellers I listened to:

Moth Storytellers:

Jahara Gonzalez - Shot to the Heart
Jon Levin – Elevator ER
Richie DiSalvo – Anthony the Hat


Second Story

Jon Gugala – The Marine Corps Shuffle
JC Aevaliotis – Through the Glass
Julie Ganey – Drama School


Story Corps

Dr. Pedro Greer
Colbert Williams and Ralph Catania
Sylvia and Sandra Mendez


This American Life - 402: Save the Day

Prologue
Act One
Act Two


Reflections:
There two very two very common things that I noticed in all of the stories I listened to. First was the use of voice modulation for humorous effect. It seems such a simple thing to change ones voice through accent, emotion, and rhythm but it seems to elicit the desired response of laughter and establishment of rapport almost every single time.

The second thing I noticed was that in every story I listened to there was a common theme: transformation or metamorphosis. The character starts out one way or perhaps with a certain set of perceptions or attitudes and then by the end of the story they have changed or been altered in some way by the character's reaction to his or her experiences. I don't know that I would label this growth, but often it does involve personal growth on the character's behalf. But the interesting thing was that this phenomenon of transformation is such a common theme in story.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting that you bring up transformation as a theme. I used to use it as a fundamental element of story. If there is no transformation, there is no narrative. I'm not certain thats true (or at least I think in many cases you have to dilute the meaning of transformation so much that its hardly worth using it as a term. I do think though that it may be true of a fulfilling narrative.

    ReplyDelete