Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Neologism - Hackspace

I'm convinced my cousin is a genius, maybe an evil one, but still a genius. He knows more info about more stuff than most of us will ever learn. My cousin started helping develop what he called a hackspace awhile back.

I had no idea what a hackspace was so naturally I asked... then I Googled. A hackspace is a physical place where people with similar interests in science, math, architecture, engineering, and many other things come together to share resources and help one another to build different projects.

Hackspaces often have workshops, gardens, labs, computers, and lots of various junk. These hackspaces often have peer-led teaching and group learning.

The word is a combination of hacker - a person into modification both of hardware and software and the word space - meaning area or place.

I don't know of any hackspaces close to here but my cousin's is in Atlanta.

No comments:

Post a Comment