Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Telling Phrase 2: "My Haters are my motivators"

"My haters are my motivators." Is a phrase-like sentence that I have heard used in more than one rap song. I believe that this phrase has quite a bit to say. One of the things that it infers are that the speaker will not be put down by insults, discouragement, or negativity. It also indicates that attacks against the speaker actually increase the speaker's motivation to do what they are doing. This phrase has a certain level of invincibility associated with it. Essentially, it is saying, "If you resist me, than I will become more forceful." In a more negative light, the phrase can be seen as kind of annoying. Maybe you can relate to my thoughts by thinking of someone that is constantly trying to prove something. It is one thing to make a case, and try to persuade someone, it is another thing to continually try to make your point after the case has been closed. This phrase makes me think of people that are constantly trying to make a case for themselves even when everyone has already heard and disagreed with them. At the same time, it can be good to be motivated by opposition. Although I have heard this phrase used in rap music, its meaning could be true for many people and many walks of life.

2 comments: