Sunday, April 25, 2010

Friday's Father

I thought that the mixed use of personal story and myth was well done. I wasn't a huge fan of the telling, but I think there were three main factors that played into the distaste that had little to do with the stories, or the story arc. (1. I have listened to so many stories lately that I need to stick to reading for a little while, 2. Her voice/tone was just too Thistle-ish, and 3. I listened to both of the CD's in pretty much one straight session.)

There was a lot of vivid and emotional language involved in her stories, and I noticed that her personal accounts were accompanied by the use of some "fairytale language." She also included some bits of meta-narrative in her fairytale stories, which seemed, to me, to be an effective way of tying them together better.

It seemed as if there were a couple of maxims of relevance that could be heard in the segment in which she was recounting her feelings about her father moving in with her and her new immediate family. I could also hear maxims of relevance coming from the her African American friend. He was a man of few words, and it seems like those are the people that most often send to more carefully monitor the quality of their statements.

I thought that Gwenda did a nice job of telling about her mischievous visitors use of the opposite of the maxim of quality. She warned that if they did not do what she said, that she would tell the adults about the scene at the well. Finally, I thought that a maxim of manner appeared in the last story about the King that struggled to see the "love" between meat and salt. I'm curious as to whether some of y'all saw some of these same maxims, or if you would disagree with my assessments.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I accept your application of the conversational maxims in this case... Overall we assume a Maxim of Quality in that we assume her to be telling us a "true" story about herself. We likewise might expect a Maxim of Relevance from the insertion of the fairy tales, even if we may not get the relevance at first. Does her discourse successfully cover the territory of an experience and a set of feelings and thoughts? Does she achieve completion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that I was looking too specifically, for certain sentences rather than the overall arc. I think that I understand now though. Thanks for clarifying. :)

    ReplyDelete