Friday, April 23, 2010

Telling Phrase: from the Panera loud-talker

All right, so I like to ease the pain of writing papers by getting hopped up on Iced Mochas. This tendency has led to long hours at Panera with my laptop. During three of my last five visits I have been subjected to young, female loud-talker. In case you're unfamiliar with the loud-talker, he or she is someone who refuses to adopt a cafe-level voice and prefers to pronounce his or her innermost thoughts, opinions, and dreams at a volume that is impossible for nearby folks to ignore.

This particular loud-talker recently professed that she "doesn't understand why there has to be an article about gay people in the paper, like, every week, cause like, you could never write an article about how great heterosexuality is like that." She also wondered "why do black people get their own channel, you know BET, that's so not fair."

I'll not be going into the extent to which I disagree with the loud-talker. But let's talk about the assumptions she's making by speaking those opinions so loudly in a public place. Is it possible that she didn't realize that everyone within ten feet of her could hear her every word? Yes. But what if she did realize it? Would that suggest she's assuming that no one within earshot (which is quite the radius) is gay or loves BET?

1 comment:

  1. Maybe she is a really confrontational person that wants to start an argument? I experienced a similar situation once. I was on a church breakfast trip with my youth group about 8 years ago, and there was this lady that was almost shouting in her conversation. She exclaimed, "Who cut the corners off the triangles!" Since then, the phrase became a joke among my friends in NY that continues to define people that have no sense of volume.
    I believe that these "loud-talkers" should be banned from blue tooth phones.

    ReplyDelete