Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Telling Phrase 5: "I'm dunking on you."

"I'm dunking on you" is similar to "Chef cookin' for me" except it is more pointed and it is more of a goofy insult than a prideful exclamation. "I'm dunking on you" could of course mean, "I am scoring against you in basketball by pushing the ball through the hoop." Of course what makes this a telling phrase is that it means more than what would obviously be recognized in the first read. This phrase first indicates, "I am above you." It then indicates, "I'm scoring on you" which also implies, "I'm winning, and you are losing." This phrase could also be a marketing slogan for Dunkin Donuts, a motto for athletic gear, and a cheesy statement by a youth minister after a baptismal service. Obviously the last use would be my personal favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment