Friday, May 7, 2010

Telling Use of Language --- "I did" beats "I will" any day

I am a procrastinator. I don't know when or how I became one but I did and there's no denying it. Recently a friend of mine made a comment to me about my procrastination of a certain much needed task. I told him, "I will, I will" to which he responded "'I did' beats 'I will' and day." I was somewhat taken back first of all because I had just been called out by my friend second because it was a genius phrase and very telling use of language. The words I did mean that somethings has already been done versus the words I will which mean that something has yet to be done. This phrase places the value in the goal having been accomplished rather than the intention to accomplish the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment