Monday, February 15, 2010

Telling Phrases - Jesus Calling, Don't Hang Up

Yes, you've guessed it, another Church billboard. And I'm sorry, I don't mean to mock religion so constantly. No, thats a lie. I definitely mean to mock religion, it tends to deserve it. What I mean is please don't confuse this with me mocking anyone's personal faith - I regard that as a very different thing.

So here we are: Jesus is a double glazing salesman, don't stop listening, the offer he is about to make is a really good one!

And the problematic connotations begin. Once again, faith is reduced to being described in the terms of other everyday experiences. More disturbingly, the persona Jesus is given is one of the least liked stereo(arche?)types in modern America - the telesales caller. And next, we, poor uneducated souls need to be told not to ignore him, lest in our ignorance we miss out on something good. Which, one assumes, only the church can reveal to us. What's his special offer? Will save the souls in your front room, at the same time as the ones on the back porch, so long as both orders are placed together?

1 comment:

  1. You might also enjoy my neighbor's bumper sticker:
    "Jesus is coming, look busy."

    ReplyDelete