Friday, February 5, 2010

Jim Gaffigan - meta-narrative and character voices

Here's a link to comedian Jim Gaffigan doing his "CAKE" bit from his Comedy Central special "Beyond the Pale."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o-u4IwXkbE&feature=related

Throughout the special, Gaffigan inserts brief lines in the voice of a fictitious audience member, this character is the voice of disapproval. Her lines include:

"This guy talks a lot about cake."
"If he does another cake joke I'm gonna kill him."
"Hey buddy, I like the I-HOP..."

I had assumed that he was producing this character in part by manipulating the mic, but when I watched it appears to be just a change in pitch. I'm not sure how I made that mistake. If nothing else, this bit is an interesting study in character voice.

This clip runs about 5 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment