Monday, February 22, 2010

Telling Phrases - Are you kidding me?

I had 7 minutes while my potato microwaved, so I flicked the tv channels looking for telling uses of language, and landed on the episode "Rudy spent the night" with Rudy in full voice, as all her favorite foods were revealed to be on the menu.

The phrase is interesting for me because it becomes almost devoid of the denotational element of the meanings of the words, to take on a range of other meanings. Not "is that a joke" but "I don't believe it" or "Is that really true?" and finally when Bill echoes the line, promising to drive safely (and I think, wear his seatbelt, I wasn't transcribing) it becomes "of course, I'll do that.

It shows perhaps, the stroke value of conversation, and repetition as an involvement strategy, far more than it signifies information. (Of course it is also a device for creating humor, but thats a whole other level to consider).

No comments:

Post a Comment