Saturday, February 6, 2010

Notes on Notes

Here are some clarifications to Hugh's notes.

The term Synaesthesia (also "synesthesia") is defined:
–noun
a sensation produced in one modality when a stimulus is applied to another modality, as when the hearing of a certain sound induces the visualization of a certain color.

I enjoyed Hugh's comment that Juliet's speech seemed more "ovular." The word is an interesting invention. Perhaps Juliet is "ovulating" which could explain a lot about her. However, I think Hugh may have been going toward "oval" as opposed to "ovule." Even so, the words are clearly related.
Which brings me to a related point: an involvement strategy we have been touching on is "ellipsis." This is demonstrated visually by Atkinson's mime. He leaves out the actual drum kit, requiring us to fill it in, creating an ellptical relationship which would indeed be "ovally." In linguistics, "ellipsis" refers to the omission of some parts of a construction. In punctuation, this omission is written as 3 periods, "the periods of ellipse" ...
Elipsis is directly related to the geometrical term "ellipse"
Other linguistic forms pair with geometrical forms:
Parable / Parabola
Hyperbole / Hyperbola

Click here for more on the Bouba/Kiki experiment.

"Thematic Bubble" Help me out here. I was trying to find a term to capture my meaning but I'm not quite sure I can break it down. Hugh's understanding seems incomplete. What do the rest of you make of the idea?

My email address is novateller@aol.com and, yes, my mailbox did get full. Keep trying, I promise to clean it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment