Saturday, February 6, 2010

Neologism - Blamestorm

As I seek out Neologisms, I am realising that the words I am finding tend to fall into one of two categories. In the case of blamestorm (which I came across on a techie friend's facebook update in the middle of their working day) I thought it was a new phrase as my techie friends tend to be quite up to date, but it turns out to be older. Questionning revealed that it is common in friends' vocabulary since about 2008, and has recorded usage going back as far as 2003 at least. Unlike a brainstorm – which people work together to create, the blamestorm tends to gather its own momentum, although it may be assisted by an individual or individuals who want to redirect attention away from themselves.

2 comments:

  1. I can use this at home. The kids often defend themselves by blamestorming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Got it. To blame is more rational than to rain.

    ReplyDelete