Monday, February 15, 2010

Etymology: Oh Snap!

The phrase is an exclamation of surprise, regret, disappointment, happiness, and many other emotions. People usually say "Oh SNAP!" as an exclamation, and it can be either positive or negative. (Urban Dictionary)

First known usage was in the 1989 rap song "Just a Friend" by Biz Markie. (I remember seeing that video and laughing until I cried. We had signed up for the first (and only) time for cable. We turned on the video channel whenever we were working around the house so that Jack, my two little girls and I could all come running to the TV whenever Biz and his song came on. I can’t imagine how that term has hung around for 20 years, but it has. The last time I saw Biz Markie, he was in Men in Black II, in the post office scene. He is a home boy from Savage, Maryland. “Oh Baby, you…you got what I need.” Check out the color music video on Utube; it begins with a scene of the brothers doing their “dozens” routine.

Regards,
Sleepless in Jonesborough (notice the same number of syllables as Seattle)

3 comments:

  1. Is "snap" replacing less polite phrases that would frequently appear in the same range of excamations?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes, yes. It is also used by those who enjoy using exclamatory expressions other than profanity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this also qualifies as neologism.

    ReplyDelete