Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Telling Phrases - "I think I might like to propose a theory of textual husbandry"

One of my classmates in Interdisciplinary research. The phrase reveals P's tentative approach to joining in discussions - I think... I might like...
It also, at least to me, from within the general conversation, shows how we are in an edge realm of meaning. The place where theory has built up so many of layers of metaphor to signify anything at all (we're in cultural theory zone, where any "research object" can be read as a "text" whether it has words or not, and where that "text" is an epihenomen which has no concrete existence, and, and). The audacity of the metaphor "textual husbandry" - we have to breed the meaning is delightful, and particularly so as it reveals P's roots in Appalachian farming culture - although to someone less familiar with her background, the reason for her choice of metaphor to shape her theory might have been unclear.

4 comments:

  1. Breeding text, breeding meaning.. all interesting concepts. makes me ponder the connotations of breeding as relates to status. Can one text have better breeding than another?
    Did you mean to use the word epiphenomenon instead of epihenomen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Additionally, part of the telling use of language I think you are getting at is the passive voice. Passivity combined with farming terms such as husbandry may reveal something of background and character?

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes to epihenomenon - am just coming to terms with it as a useful concept - spelling it is another matter.
    And yes I think passivity might be part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. still wrong! epiphenomenon. Reminds me of the muppets http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjIoymWHvU&feature=related

    ReplyDelete