Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sounding off

Thanks Cathy - a good summation. As we move from our consideration of the grooming and stroking behaviors that may have encouraged the development of language, our consideration of phonetics keeps us rooted in language as a visceral sound experience. When we speak directly to a present listener, while we may be communicating many ideas, we are also creating sensation that can be felt as well as understood. As we go forward, we will move from the experience of language to the language of experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hey everybody,

    If you're like me, you may have had some trouble producing the phonetic symbols on your computer. If that's the case you may want to try this site:

    http://ipa.typeit.org/

    You can type phonetic symbols and then cut/paste them into Word.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found another location for the correct phonetic symbols. I use Microsoft Office Word 2007, but I think you can do this try this even if you don't have 2007. You will need to set your font to Times New Roman, Arial Unicode MS or Lucinda Sans Unicode. Click on "insert" then "symbol"(then I had to click on "more symbols") and you will get a chart of all the alphabetical possibilities for that font. Scroll until you see the symbol you want and insert it on your blank Word document and save it. I can now cut and paste those symbols froom my saved document and increase or decrease the size according to the font I am using.
    Forgive me if this sounds very basic, but I know someone out there is technologically challenged. Hey...! That's my first Telling Phrase! Perhaps it is also a neologism?!?

    ReplyDelete